Tánaiste to welcome the Kennedy family to Iveagh House19/6/13
The Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Eamon Gilmore T.D., will host two events to mark the 50th anniversary of the visit to Ireland by President John F. Kennedy in 1963.
On Wednesday 19 June: a lecture, entitled “The Kennedy Lecture: Reflections on Ireland and America”, will be delivered by the Governor of Maryland, Martin O’Malley, to an invited audience as part of the Iveagh House Commemorative Lecture Series. The lecture will be preceded by a panel discussion, moderated by Ryan Tubridy, with Loretta Brennan Glucksman, Chair of the American Ireland Funds, and Professor Joe Lee, to examine the impact on Irish America of Kennedy’s election as President as well as the impact of his visit on Ireland at the outset of a decade of great change for the country. In cooperation with RTE, the lecture will also be broadcast on Radio One at 7pm on Saturday 22 June.
On Thursday 20 June: the Tánaiste will host a Government dinner in honour of Caroline Kennedy and members of the Kennedy family. The dinner will be held in Iveagh House, venue for the Government dinner in honour of President John F. Kennedy on Thursday, 27 June 1963, almost 50 years to the day (see photo attached). Other members of the Kennedy family who will attend include former US Ambassador to Ireland Jean Kennedy-Smith, who accompanied her brother on his visit to Ireland in 1963, and Congressman Patrick Kennedy.
The Tánaiste said:
“I am looking forward to welcoming members of the Kennedy family as they gather in Ireland to commemorate the historic visit to Ireland of President Kennedy fifty years ago this week. That visit was a transformative event in our country’s history that continues to reverberate today. I am delighted that Governor O’Malley, an Irish-American born in 1963, has agreed to deliver the Kennedy lecture which will officially start a week of commemorative events in Dublin and Wexford.”
Note for Editors:
· Martin O’Malley is the 61st and current Governor of Maryland and former Mayor of Baltimore
· Timeline of JFK50 Commemorative events
- 19 June: JFK lecture by Governor of Maryland, Martin O’Malley, Iveagh House (For media queries contact: Amanda Bane, DFA Press Office 087 6837205)
- 20 June: 12 noon official opening of JFK Homecoming multimedia exhibition, National Library of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin 2 (Media queries: Brenda O’Hanlon 087-2583292)
- 20 June, Government dinner in honour of Caroline Kennedy and members of the Kennedy family, Iveagh House (Media queries: Amanda Bane, DFA Press Office 087 6837205)
- 22 June, Wexford events :
Kennedy Family Homestead – opening of new visitor centre*;
JFK Park and Arboretum – re-dedication*;
(*Media queries: to Colette Davis OPW Press Office 087 9445552)
New Ross Quayside events including lighting of Emigrant Flame.
(Media queries to Ann Power 086 3065588 / Kathryn Byrne 01-6680600; or see www.jfk50ireland.com)