Get a Passport Card
The Passport Card is available to all Irish Citizens who hold a valid Irish Passport Book. Your personal details must be an exact match of the details that appear in your Passport Book.
- Where can you use it
- How long is it valid
- How much does it cost
- Method of payment
- How long does it take
- Lost, stolen or damaged
- How to apply
- Changes to the Passport Card 2021
- It is valid for travel to all EU Member States, the members of the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway), Switzerland and the United Kingdom. It is recognised as a valid travel document by relevant national authorities.
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway and Switzerland.
- When travelling through airports, access to E-gates is determined by Local infrastructure.
- A border official can also manually check the Passport Card.
- 5 years at the most.
- The Passport Card will match the expiry date of your Passport Book, if you have less than 5 years validity remaining.
- View Passport Card fees.
- Pay by credit or debit card.
- Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club International and American Express cards are accepted.
- View our turnaround times.
You must apply online. You will save money if you get your Passport Book and Passport Card at the same time as part of a bundle.
- You may apply for a Passport Card individually.
- Your passport book must have at least 3 months remaining validity.
- You can get a Passport Card and Passport Book at the same time online as part of a bundle
- You can only get a Passport Card with a Passport Book as part of a bundle which is an option you can select when renewing your child’s passport online.
- Passport Cards for under 18s will be valid for the same period as the Passport Book.