We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Cameroon.
We advise against non-essential travel to the north of the country. The security situation is extremely dangerous, with frequent bombings and attacks on the security forces. We may only be able to provide very limited assistance if you encounter difficulty.
Because there is no Irish Embassy or Consulate in Cameroon, we’re limited in the help we can offer you in an emergency. The best help is often close at hand so if you have problems, try talking to your local contacts, tour operator representative or hotel management.
If there is an emergency, or if you need help and advice, you can contact the Irish Embassy in Abuja in Nigeria or our Consular Assistance Unit at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Dublin on +353 1 408 2000.
EU Directive on Consular Protection
Under the EU Consular Protection Directive, Irish nationals may seek assistance from the Embassy or Consulate of any other EU member state in a country where there is no Irish Embassy or permanent representation.
Our tips for safe travels
- Purchase comprehensive travel insurance which covers all your intended activities
- Add an alert for your destination within the Travelwise App.
- Register your details with us so that we can contact you quickly in an emergency, such as a natural disaster or a family emergency
- Follow us on twitter @dfatravelwise for the latest travel updates
- Read our Topical ‘Know Before You Go’ guide
Thu, 31 May 2018 15:38:21 BST